Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Red Onions....

So in between dodging rain showers [I hid in the grow house] and after earthing up the potatoes, I managed to plant out some red onion seedlings at the allotment. I do not really have enough space for onions, but I try and squeeze in a row of salad onions each year and this year I have also  found a gap for a row of red onions.
I love red onions, so tasty sliced with tomatoes and mozzarella and drizzled with a little olive oil in a simple salad, or caramelised in a tart. Last year the only veg I bought were onions and mushrooms so this year I want to grow some onions at least!

I know onion and goats cheese tart has been overdone as "the vegetarian option" but I actually enjoy a good caramelised red onion tart, with softly melted goats cheese,  lightly flavoured with thyme and served with home grown potatoes and peas.

I usually make my onion tarts with a short crust pastry base, however I had a pack of filo defrosting as I was going to make Greek cheese pie until I discovered we were out of spinach so I made this one with filo.

Red onion and goats cheese Tart

Five sheets filo & some melted butter or enough short crust pastry [chilled] to line a flan tin
2 large red onions thinly sliced
a knob of butter
leaves from a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme ~ or 1 teaspoon of dried
Soft goats cheese
balsamic vinegar

Line your flan tin thinly with either your short crust pastry or layers of filo pastry spread with a little melted butter, and pop into the fridge to rest. [If you are using shortcrust pastry then you might also want to blind bake the pastry case in a low oven before putting in the filling]

In a large pan melt the butter add your onions and slowly, slowly, cook to soften adding the thyme a couple of minutes before you turn up the heat and add a splash of balsamic vinegar stirring now until the onions fully caramelise. Don't rush the cooking of the onions as this is where all the rich flavour of the tart comes from!

Spoon the onion mixture into the pastry lined flan tin and spread out evenly, then crumble [or lay slices of] your goats cheese over the top. If you are using filo pastry then fold the edges in and scrunch to create a rustic looking edge and brush with a little more melted butter before putting into the oven.

Cook in a medium hot oven at a temperature appropriate for the type of pastry you are using until the pastry is cooked and the goats cheese is melted and starting to colour.
This is great hot from the oven with home grown veg, or served warm with a salad.


Do you have favourite red onion recipes?
I think this one is worth getting wet and planting a few onions for.
Needless to say when I got home from the allotment the rain stopped and the sun came out, so tea was a little delayed while I sat out and enjoyed the sun.



2 comments:

  1. Red onion and goats cheese tart is in my top 5 favourite meals of ALL time ...in fact I'm having it for dinner... I'm using puff pastry and really cheating by using a red onion chutney ...but still YUM! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol real cheat then!
    well I hope that you enjoy it, try it with filo sometime for a change and please save me your chutney jars!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment....
I will reply to all comments as soon as I can...
Thank You!