The lemon brings out the flavour of the asparagus and the addition of the almonds also compliments it well.
I will also be entering this recipe for the 'one ingredient cookery challenge' who have lemons as their ingredient for this month.
It is hosted this month by Nazima & Laura :
Working London Mummy [http://www.workinglondonmummy.com] and How to Cook Good Food [http://www.howtocookgoodfood.co.uk/] I am quite excited as I have never entered a blog competition before! [hope I have done it right]
So correctly entered or not, here is my recipe:
Fresh Asparagus & Lemon Cous Cous
225 g cous cous
225 ml boiling water
2 lemons [unwaxed!]
3 Tablespoons ground almonds
1 small knob butter
1 bunch fresh asparagus
1. Place the cous cous into a large bowl that has a tight fitting lid or that you can cover.
2.Finely grate the lemon zest from the 2 lemons into a jug, add their juice and the boiling water.
3. Tip the liquids over the cous cous, stir briefly with a fork, cover and set aside.
4. Clean your asparagus and remove the woody part of the stems, slice it into bite sized pieces reserving the tips.
5. Steam the asparagus for about ten minutes [or until it is cooked as much as you like it], adding the tips half way through the cooking time.
6. Melt the butter in a small frying pan add the ground almonds and stirring gently all the time cook them until brown and fragrant
7. Remove cover from cous cous tip over the ground almonds and using a fork mix thoroughly.
8. Divide the cous cous equally between two warmed plates, top with the steamed asparagus, season to taste and add a further sliver of butter if you'd like.....