Friday, 4 May 2012

Tomatoes

Tomatoes,
Freshly picked from the allotment these are a delight,
but that is still a long way off.
I have seedlings on the windowsills, small plants in the allotment grow house, and a few I have dared outside under bottle cloches so hopefully there will be fresh tomatoes later.

However after last years glut as well as freezing some, both whole and as a fresh tomato sauce, making relish and using them in as many meals as possible I also oven dried some and stored them under oil in jars. I still have the last few oven dried and I thought that they, and the herby olive oil that they are stored in, would go very well in a fritata with some of the last of our potatoes.

I think it worked well:

Fritata:
about 1/2 lb potatoes thickly sliced
1 or 2 onions thickly sliced
few leaves of fresh sage, shreaded or a teaspoon of dried
oven dried tomatoes chopped, or one or two fresh tomatoes, sliced
hand full of grated cheddar cheese - preferably a strong flavoured one!
4 eggs
salt & pepper to taste
Butter &/or olive oil to fry

  • Steam or boil the potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes to part cook.
  • Meanwhile in a large pan melt the butter or heat the oil and gently cook the onions to soften them, when they are soft but not browned remove them from the pan and set asside.
  • Next take your part cooked potatoe slices and fry them in butter or oil in your large pan until browned, layer your previously cooked onions ontop and sprinkle over the sage, turn down to a medium low heat.
  • In a jug or small bowl mix together your eggs and seasoning and then pour over the onions and potatoes, allow to sink down into the layers.
  • Leave this to cook for fifteen minutes until the base and middle is cooked, layer your tomatoes over the top and then sprinkle over the cheese.
  • Finally, place the pan under a heated grill to cook the top, melting and browning the cheese
Enjoy warm on its own or serve with fresh veg or salad!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of oven drying tomatoes and think I've done it once, but it didn't last long as it got mouldy. How have you managed to get yours to last long?

    Like you I'm also growing tomatoes, really tiny at the moment - at the rate they are growing, I may just be harvesting green ones - oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after the loss of the grow house I am starting again from seed so I may well be harvesting from green as well.... see what late summer brings weatherwise me thinks.... probably more gales !

    however on the oven dried thing, I will look up my notes on how long I kept them in the oven before storing them under oil, has always worked well for me, but this is as long as they have ever lasted, [usually all get eaten sooner!] last year was a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment....
I will reply to all comments as soon as I can...
Thank You!