Sunday, 28 April 2013

raspberry syrup.....

Time to clear the freezer out, get things ready for the coming harvest, and I discovered lots of frozen raspberries
so
Raspberry syrup time!
perfect over ice cream, fruit pies and tinned fruit
good to flavour fruit fools and custard
a sweet addition to yoghurt
great mixed with fizzy water [or white wine] as a summer drink
and untold other uses.
It took me all day to get it finished, but now have several bottles of rich red sweet raspberry syrup ~ and lots more space in the freezer...

Method

gently heat the raspberries in a pan over a low heat to release the juice,
pressing the fruit with a wooden spoon to break it down.
Pour all into a jelly bag and leave to drip for four to six hours
Compost the pulp and keep the juice,
measure your juice &
to every 600ml add 350g of sugar
[adjust this according to taste and the sweetness of your fruit,
 but do not reduce it too much or your syrup will not keep!]
warm gently until the sugar is completely dissolved
then simmer for 15 minutes
and pour into sterilised bottles
and seal.
This will keep for a couple of months
but should be refrigerated once opened
 

4 comments:

  1. I make raspberry syrup using a different method. I suppose there are many ways. The main difference with mine though is it will keep for over a year once bottled but I'm not sure you could use frozen fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please share!
      I generally only make a small amount when raspberries are in season and it does not last long, as it is very popular!
      but do tell me your method as I am always interested in new recipes

      Delete
  2. If you go to my blog (allotments4you) and type Raspberry Syrup in the search bar at the top you will find it their with method. I still have one bottle left from last year. It's very simple and you don't need many utensils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!
      when I get this years harvest I think I will give this a try :-)

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment....
I will reply to all comments as soon as I can...
Thank You!